Camellia can be found in eastern and southern Asia. More than 100 different species of Camellia have been identified to date. Flowers are large and multicolored, ranging from all shades of red, pink to yellow and white. Camellias are evergreen shrubs or small tree that grows up to 6 to 9 m tall. Leaves are thick and serrated and usually glossy. Camellia flower blooms from December to April, measuring up to 12 to 15 cm in diameter and its fruit contains 3 black seeds. Camellia is vulnerable to cold so cannot survive in extremely cold climates, but some flowers bloom early in winter months in snow. Camellia is also known as ‘rose of winter’.
SYMBOLISM OF THE CAMELLIA FLOWER
There is a famous legend of camellia from Yeosu Odongdo. A young fisherman and his wife lived on the island of Odong on a house on the edge of a cliff. One day, a strange man snuck into the couple’s house and tried to hurt the wife while alone at home. The fisherman’s wife runs out of the house in panic and is so shocked and scared that she runs over the cliff and dies. On his return home the husband was devastated and heartbroken when he discovered his wife’s lifeless body. He buries his wife and leaves the island for years only to return due to keeping longing to be close again to his long gone wife. When he went to see his wife’s burial ground, he discovers a tree growing on the grave with red flower and it seemed his wife was saying to him, ‘I waited for you to come back’ and ’I love only you’. Camellia flower’s romantic meaning originated from this legend. Camellia also has many other meanings such as purity, beauty and faithfulness.
- Korea – Camellia flowers have been part of traditional Korean wedding ceremonies since 1200 B.C. and symbolizes faithfulness and longevity.
- Japan – Camellia flower is often used in religious and sacred ceremonies and it also represents the coming of spring. It is called “Tsubaki” and symbolizes the divine
- China– Camellia flower is highly regarded in China. Even considered the national flower of southern China and symbolizes young sons and daughters.
CAMELLIA OIL PROPERTIES AND USES
Camellia is used in a number of beauty products. The oil is extracted from the seeds of camellia and its superb for skincare with many great properties! Camellia oil is a brilliant skin moisturizer because of its exceptionally rich oleic acid(omega-9) content. Texture is light which absorbs quickly into the skin. Camellia oil can be also used in cooking and in many other ways. Camellia oil has wonderful shelf life but it should be stored away from direct sunlight. There are many ways to extract an oil but the cold pressed maybe healthiest.
- Apply small amount right after cleansing skin for super soft and silky skin. This reduces dryness.
- pply small amount on acne scars, cuts, wounds and scrapes. It help to heal and recover quickly. However, avoid using it on active acne.
- Apply on wrinkles and fine lines. Camellia oil help to reduce raging and signs of damagecaused by the sun due to its anti-aging capabilities.
- Camellia oil is amazing to treat rough and very dry skin. It is excellent in maintaining moisture.
- Can be used as makeup remover.
- Camellia oil is used a eczema treatments.
- Apply the oil as hair conditioner. Camellia oil was used as a traditional hair treatment in the ancient times in Korea. Dry hair to smooth and silky hair!
Camellia plant can be consumed by making tea or liquor. When there’s stomach or esophagus complication, drinking camellia infusion can be effective with symptom relief. It also helps to relieve a sore throat! According to the Korean herbal medicine, camellia was used to cure asthma and coronary artery diseases. It also clears blood and help stop the bleeding and diuresis.
When camellia is used as edible, pistil, stamen and the sepal should be removed before use. Even though camellia flower is edible, pollen may cause allergies. It is advised to use right away after flower petals been picked but it can be preserved for a long time if you refrigerate in a sealed container. This way will also preserve its unique color and flavor.
Camellia flower's message is love and positive thoughts. Send camellia flower to the ones you love!